You will provide pragmatic business-oriented legal advice relating to IP in contexts like strategic collaborations, development projects, contract negotiations, and transactions. You will also be handling patent defense/enforcement matters in close collaboration with other internal and external specialists. You will report to Group Director Volvo Group IP – IP Legal, Trademarks & Designs.
The work may require travel from time to time.
Main activities and responsibilities
- Provide legal advice, relating to IP in general, to the daily business operations within the Volvo Group, including participating in contract negotiations and projects with IP impact;
- Participate in the IP defense/enforcement work, with day to day management of the IP defense/enforcement operations, in particular in relation to patents, and setting up and managing global working groups with involved stakeholders on a project basis;
- Managing a network for patent defense/enforcement work together with Senior Patent Enforcement Attorney;
- Promote and ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations, as well as internal IP policies, guidelines, and directives;
- Participate in and support the development, updates, and fulfillment of the Volvo Group IP Plan in respect of IP enforcement management;
- Provide internal training on legal and IP issues;
- Assist in the preparation and interpretation of legal reports, statements, or other documents;
- Manage outside providers of legal services related to IP enforcement.
Competencies for the position
As a Legal Counsel IP, you have a Master of Law and solid legal experience from a law firm, inhouse legal counsel, or equivalent experience. You have high personal credibility, integrity, and a can-do mindset with high drive, energy and be capable of performing multiple duties effectively in a fast-paced environment.
This position requires knowledge and experience with IP issues and IP law. In addition, experience from representing at courts, proficiency in the negotiation and drafting of contracts, together with solid experience and knowledge in dispute resolution, contract, and commercial law are important requirements. Furthermore, it’s essential that you have experience in handling agreements, relating to various types of IP, preferably in a technology development environment. Other pre-requisites for this position are distinctive problem-solving abilities, communication skills, together with cultural awareness and appreciation. You enjoy working both in a team and individually on your own.
Good English communication skills, both orally and in writing are essential. A good understanding of automotive businesses and processes is a merit but not a requirement.
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden.